SC - Questions - cooking in period, and some answers

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 1 11:35:29 PST 1998

At 2:20 PM +0100 3/31/98, Yeldham, Caroline S wrote:

>Also we have no means of measuring items, so we just have to judge 4oz of
>flour or whatever (English, remember! - but the same would apply to US
>measurements).  We have to use our judgements as to whether a dish is the
>right consistency.
>
>Caroline

My usual answer to this is to have one period-style mug and spoon I
normally cook with.  That way, if I want half water and half wine in a
sauce it's one mug of each or half a mug of each; or measure vinegar in by
spoonfuls.  Salt and dried herbs I measure by shaking some out into the
palm of my hand--I know what a tablespoonful or a teaspoonful looks like.
Once you are used to a particular set of utensils, this kind of estimation
is pretty accurate; you just have to be careful if you are cooking with
someone else's gear.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook