SC - kitchen kits (long)

Gerekr Gerekr at aol.com
Fri Apr 3 01:40:29 PST 1998

On 2/20/98 3:30 AM Caroline wrote:

> - the Penguin version of
>Elizabeth Davids' Italian cooking
>	has clear versions - look for the 'how to set up an outside
>kitchen', also the different knives used. in period.  We had copied the spit
>arrangement he shows which works very well, and the trivet as well.   He
>shows a lovely cauldron stand with spit holders for small spits which I
>rather covet.  In the meantime we use large wooden tripods with a long
>wooden bar in between to suspend the cauldrons (they stand 6' to 7' high)

This is interesting... I went out and found a remaindered copy of the
1996 printing from an outfit called Smithmark in New York City.  It
refers to a 1957 and a 1987 printing also...  What I have is about 240
pages, and I've looked closely and do not find the illustration or
section as you refer to above (on outdoor cooking)...

How many pages is your Penguin edition?  It's the 1987, yes?  (There are
introductions to the "first" edition, the Penguin edition, and the 1996
all in this one.)  It commences to look as if I need to go to ILL
(interlibrary loan) to find the illustration you mentioned?

(This 1996 may still be available as a remainder; I got mine in Feb(?)
thru WaldenBooks for about $6.99, and it's still full of great
illustrations, both from the Tacuinum Sanitatus, ca. 1400, and scads of
late-period Italian oil(?) paintings (ca. 1575-1600).)

Thanks,
Patsy/Chimene