SC - Spices-another source

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 9 16:23:12 PDT 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, LrdRas wrote:

> In a message dated 4/9/98 4:09:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, DianaFiona at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << The more unusual spices
>  just aren't to be found locally--I haven't even been able to get saffron
>  lately! The grocery used to carry the tiny little vials of it, but not any
>
>             Diane >>

This may be a heresy, but I was talking with a ornamental horticulturist
recently who said that saffron was just the anther from a special crocus
that we are all paying so much to get.  I was wondering if anyone had
tried using the anthers from any other croci to substitute???

On another thought, I just picked up some ground red sandalwood, and am
dying to try it for coloring ability in food...

Your servant,
Bogdan