SC - building a feast library

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 13 00:24:55 PDT 1998

Morganna asked:
How would one go about building a decent recipie library?

>I see a number of books referenced like Plein Delight, Sir Digbies etc.
>but I don't know
>how to get copies, and our interlibrary loan can't seem to find any of
>them.
>Is there somewhere that  these can be ordered from?

Yes, many of these can be found in bookstores or ordered off
the Web and other places. I have gotten some of mine from SCA
merchants.

Unfortunately, there are some good cookbooks and some bad ones.
You might be interested in checking these files in the FOOD
section of my Stefan’s Florilegium:

cb-rv-Apicius-msg (22K)  9/12/97    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks2-bib    (14K) 10/ 3/97    Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
cookbooks-msg    (126K) 12/ 9/96    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
cookbooks-SCA-msg (10K)  4/ 3/98    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
cooking-bib       (14K)  1/24/95    Bibliography on cooking sources.

I don’t believe the cookbooks-SCA-msg is on the Web yet, but if you want
it, I can send it by email in Word or text format. Among those mentioned in
this file is Cariadocs two volume set. When I finally get around to it, I
will be ordering this.

Also is there a printed feast manual that anyone knows of?

Well, I’m not really sure what you are looking for. But you might look at
these files, also in the FOOD section:

Compleat-Cook-art (28K)  9/ 4/97    "The Compleat Cook" by Dame Alys Katharine.
Docu-Cookery-art  (18K)  8/ 4/97    "Documenting Cookery" by Dame Alys Katharine

Also in the FEASTS section, I have a bunch of files with comments on SCA
feasts and reviews of specific feasts as well as files that I thought would
be of use for SCA headcooks.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous