SC - Okay - here goes!

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Tue Apr 14 10:20:01 PDT 1998

>  I am having a medieval wedding on June 21st.  There will be
>approximately 200 or more people there.  >snip<
>We really don't have much money - it was suggested that we have
>people bring food to share instead of gifts, but I think that sounds
>kinda tacky. If we're having a wedding, we supply the food - (and with
>our friends, the guests supply the entertainment!)
>Cessara ni Rannall

Cessara,

I would suggest that since you know some friends are willing to provide
the entertainment (the tournement) please consider that some guests would
adore to provide at least part of the food, as a gift to you.  Really.  I
would be highly complimented if someone was impressed enough with a dish
to ask me to bring enough to feed their friends and relations.    For
non-traditional weddings, a request that so and so bring enough of (their
specialty) to feed X guests in lieu of a gift  is not uncommon.   If it
really bothers you, offer to defray the costs of groceries.  It might be
best to ask someone familiar with feasts and your friend's specialties
to coordinate the catering effort for you. They could cater the whole
thing.  Or they could simply coordinate the various cooks, dealing with
requesting the dishes and offering grocery money if doing so makes you
feel awkward.  Do beware that a non-SCA friend of relative may hear of
the idea and want to bring Watergate Salad for 200.  Smile and be
gracious.

Anne