SC - knives

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Tue Apr 14 10:33:30 PDT 1998

>Care:
>2)  Keep them in a block, not thrown in a drawer rubbing against each
other.

Store them in the block blade up instead of blade down.  This way, when
you slide them in and out, the blade isn't "slicing" into the wood.  I
don't know if this will preserve the sharpness of the blade in the short
run, but it will certainly preserve the block in the long run.  I came up
with this after seeing a friend's many years old knife block has all the
bottom edges of the slots "sliced" down an eighth of an inch at the
opening.  Not a lot after a decade or two, but, well, uh.  Anyway, that's
what I do.

anne