SC - Growing your own saffron

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Wed Apr 15 12:18:27 PDT 1998

Anne points out (and I stand corrected:

>> I would think that anyone living in an area conducive to growing saffron
crocus should purchase a half dozen bulbs. With a few years of attentive
gardening, they will have multiplied  into a couple of dozen bulbs, enough for
an impressively saffroned dish in SCA quantities at an important event.  Those
with the right climate and like-minded friends could probably grow enough to
make their locals despise any yellow food.

So, what is the right climate?<<

The Sunset Western Garden Book shows crocuses (including the Saffron Crocus)
as being able to grow in all *western* zones. This being the case, I have
talked my mom out of yet more of her garden space to try this.

My question is, where can one get saffron crocus bulbs or plants?

Renata