SC - excitement for the week.

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 18 20:19:48 PDT 1998

I just thought I would share my triumph and possible triumph with a lot of
fun attached.

I got part of the Barony together to make cheese.  We did an easy quick
soft cheese.  Essentially, heat up milk, add lemon juice, and drain.  It
tasted fine, and everyone had a good time.  Granted someone requested we
try to do feta next...

Now for the fun.  We tried soap again.  We got the lye thing down (using
chemical grade NaOH in water.  We added it to our rendered tallow.  It is
cooling e'en as I type, and we will see, though preliminary tests seem to
suggest a too basic nature.  The fun was when we went to put it in the
mold.  Last time, when we failed, we used my roasting pan for a mold.  We
went to do the same thing, and found that my roasting pan is aluminum.  So
the bubbles rising towards the top and the REALLY hot pan were intruiging.
Ah well.  Mayhaps next time...  At least the cheese worked.

Your servant,
Bogdan din Brasov