SC - Liability...

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Apr 21 01:14:41 PDT 1998

Oh, and more importantly Welcome Katja ;)

His Grace Cariadoc or somebody would be better versed in local laws than
me, but the position here in Australia (aka Lochac) is that if the kitchen
in which the food is prepared is not registered by the local council then
it is a breach of the law, the cook is legally liable, and that's that. So
this is what I do: Buy my food, think as I work and hope that nothing
goes wrong.

In practice, if something does go wrong I expect very little problem -
although the damages bill for a case of severe food poisoning may be
substantial, I am genuinely prepared to make restitution and apologies to
somebody I do poison, and if somebody is stupid and mean-minded enough to
sue me because they didn't think that anaphylaxis caused by the
consummption of half a pistachio counted as an allergy they should tell me
about, then I have a good lawyer and bad attitude to back me up as a last
resort.

Charles Ragnar