SC - mead/honey/bread yeast

Nick Sasso grizly_nick at rocketmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:12:05 PDT 1998

You seem right on here Brandu.  It's a competitive world in
Fermentation World when you get a dissolved sugar soup going.  Best we
can do as brewers is create every opportinuty for our champion yeast
culture to win the race to optimum fermentation populations.  That
includes sanitizing to kill the enemies, good temp control, oxidation,
and nutrients for them to use (compounds other than sugar needed for
healthy activity.  The top/bottom refers to concentration areas rather
than absolute locations in high fermantation, and the ones on the very
bottom are usually spent/dead/dormant...it's the ones you can't see
that are getting most of the work done.

VIVA le Saccaromyces cervisea!!

niccolo

- ---"Gedney, Jeff" <Gedney.J at phd.com> wrote:

> The key here, I think is " a lot of starter yeast". This was not
clearly
> stated in the original poster's message.
> From what you say, your friend clearly recognizes that the wild
yeast in
> the honey could be a contaminant, and takes steps to stop it from
being
> a factor. He adds a heavy inoculation of active yeast.
> If the original poster did not have a lot of sugar, and fermentation
> stopped, then the yeast had begun to eat itself, autolyze, and die
off.
> I think that since the culture was not active and lively, that there
was
> much more of a danger that the wild yeast would contaminate the
brew. I
> think that stirring in the honey mixed the sugar with far more of the
> remaining active yeast cells than leaving it on the bottom,
resulting in
> a much faster uptake and regeneration of the desired yeast culture.
>
> Brandu

SCA-Cooks".