SC - Question re: Lord Ras' redaction of Compost recipe

Bronwynmgn Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 07:45:51 PDT 1998

<< I may be developing massive memory loss but I think you have attributed a
 redaction/recipe to me that i didn't create. If not please forward me the
 original recipe your asking about so I can refresh my memory, if you would be
 so kind. >>

Nope, it's definitely yours, signed by you and everything.  I don't have the
date you posted it, though... Here is the post that I saved:
- ----------------------------------Begin file -------------------
COMPOST
FC 103

Take rote of parsel, of pasternak, rafens, scrape hem and waische hem clene.
Take rapes & caboches, ypared and icorue. Take an erthen panne with clene
water & set it on the fire; cast all (th)ise (th)erinne. When (th)ey buth
boiled cast (th)erto peeres, & perboile hem wel. Take alle (th)ise thynges vp
& lat it kele on a faire cloth. Do (th)erto salt; whan it is colde, do hit in
a vessel; take vinegar & powdour & safroun & and do (th)erto, & lat alle
(th)ise thynges lye (th)erin al ny(gh)t, o(th)er al day. Take wyne greke &
honey, clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard & raisouns coraunce, al
hoole, & gynde powdour of canel, powdour douce, anys hole, & fenell seed.
Take alle (th)ise thynges & castt togyder in a pot of erthe, & take (th)erof
whan (th)oui wilt & serue forth.

There is a redaction in 'Pleyn Delit which, IMHO, deviates away from the
original in very significant ways so I am not posting it. My translation and
redaction follows:

Take parsley root, parsnips, radishes, scrape them and wash them clean. Take
turnips and cabbages, pared and cored. Take an earthen pan with clean water
and set it on the fire; cast all this therein. When they both boiled cast
therein pears, and parboil them well. Take all these things up and let it
cool on a fair cloth. Do thereto salt; when it is cold, do it in a vessel;
take vinegar and powder and saffron and do thereto, and let all these things
lie therein all night, other(wise) all day.  Take Greek wine and honey,
clarified together; take Lumbard mustard and raisins of Corinth (currants ?),
all whole, and grind powder of cinnamon, powder douce, anys whole, & fennel
seed. Take alle these things and cast together in a pot of earth, & take
thereof when thou wilt and serve it forth.

COMPOST
FC 130
Copyright 1997 by L. J. Spencer, Jr. (a.k.a. Lord Ras al Zib)

1/2 cp parsley root, peeled and diced
6 parsnips, peeled and diced
1 medium black radish, peeled and diced
1 lb turnips, peeled and diced
1 gallon cabbage, cored and chopped
2 quarts winter pears, peeled, cored and chopped
Salt
1 bottle Retsina (Greek wine)
2 cps honey
2 quarts cider vinegar
Powder:
1 cp sugar
1 Tblsp ground cloves
1 Tblsp ground cinnamon
2 Tblsp ground ginger)
1 tsp saffron
1/2 cp ground white mustard (the supermarket variety)
1 lb dried currants
1 tsp cinnamon
Powder douce:
1 cp sugar
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 Tblsp ground cubebs (opt.)
2 tsp groung galingal (opt.)
1 Tbsp grains of Paradise (opt.)
1 tsp aniseed
1 tsp fennel seed

Place parsley root, parsnips, radishes, turnips and cabbage in a non-reactive
kettle (e.g. enamel, glass, or teflon. Cover with water. Bring to a boil.
Addd pears. Reduce heat to medium and cook until pears are barely tender.
Drain; spread on a cloth. Sprinkle with a substantial amount of salt and
leave until cold.

While mixture is cooling, bring wine and honey to a boil, removing the scum
as needed. When tthe scum stops rising remove from heat.

Put cooled cabbage mixture into a non-reactive kettle. Add vinegar, powder
and saffron. Let sit in a cool place for 12 hours.

Add remaining ingredients to the wine/honey mixture, stiiring well to make
sure that the sugar is dissolved. Add wine/honey spice mixture to
cabbage/pear mixture and blend carefully. Store in a cool place and use as
needed.