SC - Dried currents

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Thu Apr 30 10:32:13 PDT 1998

                      RE>> SC - Dried currents                     4/30/98

<snip>Are they the same fruit currant jelly is made from, or is that real
currants?
Renata
=
Currant jelly is from real currants- the red ones are beautiful tiny red
berries that are really tart.  We had a couple bushes when I was little.
Usually between me and the birds my mom did not get enough to make anything
out of!  "Creme de Cassis" liquer is made from the black currants, and I think
goose-berries are related, but I am not sure...
So... if currants in period recipes are the little grape raisins, were *real*
currants (red or black) used in period?  and if so how were they refered to?
- -brid