SC - RE: Marzipan/Marchpane

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 01:11:59 PST 1998

	Stefan li Rous said

> Yes, I believe Marzipan is period and was used in this way. I think it
> is just ground almonds.

	Marzipan or marchpane was used to make subtleties, amongst other
things.  However, its not just ground almonds.  Its half ground almonds,
half finely pounded sugar, mixed with egg to make a paste.  The paste is
then used rather like modelling clay to make whatever shapes you want, and
painted appropriately.  One thing to note is that which bit of the egg you
add to the powder mixture affects how mouldable the final mixture is.  Egg
yolk or whole egg makes the mixture taste better, but the paste won't mould
as finely as when you add egg white.

	It's OOP but if you want really finely moulded marzipan (not edible)
- - replace some of the sugar with cornflour - that works very well.  We did
it once when we ran out of sugar.

	Hope that helps

	Caroline