SC - European Grain/Legume combo?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Apr 2 21:41:51 PST 1998

At 5:18 PM -0600 4/2/98, ariana-s_zoo at juno.com wrote:
>Well its kinda close to what you were looking for and I need help on it
>sooo.....
>the Rapes(Lentil Crisps) from Fabulous Feasts ( which are good!) caused
>us some trouble and I was wondering if anyone has tried/been sucessful
>with it? Our balls crumbled...they didn't stick togtether after following
>the reciepie so we added breadcrumbs then rolled in the oatmeal mixture
>and fried but when they came out they crumbled again...still tasted good
>but we need to get them right for a royal feast...
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Rapes (Lentil Crisps)
>1 1/2 cups oatmeal
>2/3 cup almonds, skinned, slivered or ground
>2/3 cup coconut

I have just checked through all of the Rapes, Rapey etc. recipes in _Two
Fifteenth Century Cookery Bookes_ and _Curye on Englysche_, and none is at
all similar to this. _Fabulous Feasts_, as has been mentioned here before,
is not a very reliable source. Does anyone recognize this as a period
recipe? It sounds pretty implausible to me.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/