SC - help?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Apr 3 10:36:49 PST 1998

At 2:03 PM -0700 4/2/98, Sabia wrote:
>Greetings, I will be doing a feast at the end of this month, but I am
>still lacking a vegitarian receipe for my forth course,  I was hoping to
>locate something that was red or themed toward fire, ...  Also  is
>there a documented receipe for saffron rice?

For the first, how about

Torta from Red Chickpeas
Platina p. 142 (book 8)

Grind up red chickpeas that have been well cooked with their own juice and
with a little rosewater. When they have been ground, pass them through a
strainer into a bowl. Add a pound of almonds so ground up that it is not a
chore to pass them through the strainer, two ounces of raisins, three or
four figs ground up at the same time. And besides this, add an ounce of
pine kernels coarsely ground, and as much sugar and rosewater as you need,
and just so much cinnamon and ginger; and blend. Put the mixture into a
well-greased pan with the pastry crust on the bottom. There are those who
add starch or pike eggs, so that this torta is more firm; when it is
cooked, put it almost above the fire to make it more colored. It should be
thin and sprinkled with sugar and rosewater. [end of original]

1 15 oz can chickpeas, w/ liquid	1 oz pine nuts
3/8 c water	1/2 c sugar	2 t more sugar
1 lb almonds	1/8 c rosewater	a few drops more rosewater
2 oz raisins	1 t cinnamon	pastry for 2 9" pie crusts
4 figs	1/2 t ginger

Grind almonds finely, but not to dust. Chop pine nuts coarsely. Grind
chickpeas in a food processor with the liquid from the can, then grind
raisins and figs. Stir these and the sugar, rosewater, extra water,
cinnamon, and ginger together. The pie crust can be rolled out and put on a
10"x15" cookie sheet or it can be made into two 9" pie shells. The filling
is spread on top; it will be thicker if made as two pies. Mix extra sugar
and rosewater together and sprinkle on top. Bake 30 to 40 minutes for the
cookie-sheet version, or 50-60 minutes for the pie version, in a 375° oven
until golden brown. [from the _Miscellany_]

I don't know if it is "themed toward fire" but I suspect sugar and dried
fruit, at least, are of a hot and dry nature by period theory of the humors.

I don't know of any saffron rice recipes; my favorite period rice recipe is

Ryse of Fische Daye
Curye on Inglysch p. 127 (Forme of Cury no. 129)

Blaunche almaundes & grynde hem, & drawe hem vp wyt watur. Weshce Ýi ryse
clene, & do Ýerto sugur roche and salt: let hyt be stondyng. Frye almaundes
browne, & floriche hyt Ýerwyt, or wyt sugur. [end of original]

4 c almond milk from:
	7 oz almonds
	enough water to make 4 c of milk
2 c rice
2 T sugar
1 t salt
3 oz slivered almonds for frying
1 T sugar sprinkled on top

Make almond milk. Add rice to almond milk, also sugar and salt, bring to a
boil and simmer covered 20 minutes; let stand 25 minutes. Lightly grease
frying pan with oil and put in almonds, cook while stirring for 5 minutes
at low to moderate heat. Sprinkle almonds and extra sugar on rice and
serve. [from the _Miscellany_]

Elizabeth/Betty Cook