SC - Fw: [Mid] Is camping without a cooler out of period? >

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 8 06:47:09 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 23:06:57 -0600
> From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - Fw: [Mid] Is camping without a cooler out of period?
>
> Bogdan asked:
>
> >Cariadoc mentions a recipe for
> >> pickled meat; do we have any evidence that such things were only used at
> >> the end of the winter?
>
> >Is that in the Miscellany, or Volumes I and II, if so, where?  If not,
> >could you post the recipe????
>
> I’m not sure if Cariadoc is referring to a specific recipe or not. There
> have been a number of them given on this list and the Rialto before.

I believe the recipe referred to is for Lord's Salt, found in the
chapter entitled "Recipes", under the subchapter "Miscellaneous", in,
appropriately enough, the Miscellany. Instructions for using the "salt",
which is a marinade and, IIRC, contains no salt, are included in the
recipe immediately following. Both are from the Icelandic Medical
Miscellany translated, I believe, by the late Rudolph Grewe.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com