SC - Spiced Apple Juice

Sharon Nevin nevray at netspace.net.au
Fri Apr 10 02:40:11 PDT 1998

>><snip>The English drank their ale and beer. The French and Italians drank
wine.
>	Yes, but ... (:-)).  At least from the marriage of Henry II to
>Eleanor of Aquitaine in the 12th century until the 16th century, the
English
>crown ruled large areas  of wine-producing country in France, and
thousands
>of gallons of wine were imported into England every year thoughout that
>period (and on, of course).  In the late medieval period, lots of
different
>kinds of wines were imported,.
<snip>
> 	I thought there was plenty of evidence for cider and perry in the
> relevant areas, which are Normandy, Brittany and South-Western England
> (don't think there's a lot outside these areas - any thoughts anyone?)

What about south-eastern England? When I was living in Kent there was quite
a few apple orchards and there was a cider farm near Chilham. How far back
does this go because Kent has a fairly suitable climate? In Kent there is
also a few vineyards/wineries(Canterbury, Tenterden) and not to mention
hops everywhere. Also Kent's Cherry Ale.I seem to recall reading about
vineyards in Kent in the Middle Ages (probably in relation to Thomas
Becket).How much alcohol was actually produced in Kent in the Medieval
period?
Kent's current climate makes it possible for different crops to be grown
there.

Sharon Nevin