SC - Re: Dragiees: A Speculative Experiment - Long!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 14 15:20:27 PDT 1998

Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

> Greetings from Tibor!

<snip>

> What I discovered is that, while a corn syrup based solution will burble
> quietly, a honey solution will foam up, and spit and spatter.  Do recall
> that I was fresh (!) out of the shower, and the controls for the stove were
> in the rear, and honey syrup was boiling over onto the stove.
>
> Needless to say, the burns were not serious, but they were dramatic.  And I
> couldn't show them to anyone.  (:-)
>
> There are many morals to the story, I am sure.  The cooking relevant one is:
> when substituting honey for corn syrup, expect very different behavior at
> higher temperatures.

Point very much taken! I'd been working on the assumption that a sugar
solution of a similar density to corn syrup would behave in a similar
way, but I have to assume you have the scars to prove otherwise. That
sounds _much_ worse than my red tiger balm story!

I'll proceed with caution, but at the very least we can rest assured
that this works with pure cane sugar anyway, if a bit harder to handle.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com