SC - Fw: [Mid] Is camping without a cooler out of period?

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Sun Apr 19 20:41:32 PDT 1998

>: Why would someone want to camp without a cooler?

My answer to this question, having just done a week of period camping.

Because it can be done. Without is a big problem for us, we camp with
one and never get any more ice. The trick is planning your menu
appropriately. As our camp is at Easter and we try to observe the eating
styles of that festive time, the chance to have a good fish night on
Good Friday is hard to pass up. SO......

Wednesday setup day for most period campers and the site has a soup
kitchen setup with bread, one veggie and one with lamb or beef,
sometimes chicken.

Thursday before Easter (first day of festival) we all get in to the
fresh bits

Good Friday in observing a meatless day, fish. yes we had four very
different types of fish this year in the period encampment even in 2
inches of rain.

Saturday is a bit of everything, most period encampment people are very
busy on this day in peerage meetings, courts, etc so stew type, meat
balls, pastas, are all the go.

Sunday, the ice is gone by now, so hams, pickled, smoked and otherwise
preserved meats are used

Monday, last day of festival and haven't had ice for two days, the
lentils and bacon type items come out.

All meats start off frozen except the Thursdays meats and we are in the
throws of the last of summer, very warm. Its only a week and one ice
chest of ice does us. We eat like royalty with an average of 10 - 15
dishes every night. Lunch is a potluck to share, breakfast is portage or
meat dishes left over from the night before, bread and portage.