SC - simple mead question

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:28:42 PDT 1998

I'm sorry Papa Gunther for asking this here, but I can't find Brandu's
email address...

I started a 1 gallon batch of cinnamon mead to try it out and see how
it tasted - to see if it was worth recreating in larger quantities.
Made the stuff, let it sit for about 8 weeks, and tasted it... it was
really dry, so I got a passle more honey, and since it was purified at
the store, I just poured it in... and it sank to the bottom.  Which
got me to wondering; some yeasts are bottom fermenting, (?) and some
are top fermenting (?) and I used bread yeast because I was too lazy
to go to the store and get another packet of good yeast.  I shook the
stuff up and made it mix, but if the honey had stayed at the bottom,
would the bread yeast have worked it?

Btw, tastes fine now.  I think the dryness (?) came from using an old
copy of, I think, Digby's weak honey drink, where it comes out all
sparkley and didn't work all the way through... but I let it work to
completion and it (the yeast) ate all the sugar.

===
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao,
and there is a slight flaw in my character"?
         ---"Bridge of Birds" by Barry Hughart