SC - Book reviews

Phyllis Spurr Phyllis.Spurr at tdh.state.tx.us
Fri Apr 24 13:57:58 PDT 1998

> From:          Christi Redeker <Christi.Redeker at digital.com>
> Date:          Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:22:38 -0400
> I am preparing to write a book review on a cookbook.  As cooks, what
> information is the most important to you when you read a short review?
>
> Murkial

I would like to know what the author is trying to accomplish with the
book.  Usually this is stated in a preface.  Is the author trying to
reproduce medieval fare, or is it a cookbook of folk recipes of no
provenance?

I would like to know if the cookbook has the origin of recipes (i.e.
date, place, manuscript).  I would also like to know if the cookbook
cites  original recipes, and if so are the original recipes included?
If the original recipe is in a language other than English, is
there is a translation.  Does the author cite a bibliography?  Is
there a dictionary and/or glossary of terms.

Of what value will this cookbook be to my collection of
medieval and renassaince recipes?

Eowyn ferch Rhys
Phyllis Spurr
Home phone: 817-460-1539