SC - Help thinking up a class

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Apr 30 12:04:38 PDT 1998

Ruadh,
I have found that the best way to do a cooking class without actually
cooking is to pick a theme and run with it, information-wise, but to offer
already cooked samples. So Cold foods (period salads, syllabub, flummery,
or pickled foods) are good. I do a class on preserved foods as a sort of
appetiser thing. Goes over very well, and you'd be surprised who shows up
when you teach it late afternoon (all those hungry fighters actually have
to learn about food if they want to eat---I'm evil and I admit it!).

Another good one is "Period Use of Almonds", covering lenten stuff,
endoring with butter-fried almonds, I even attended a class with almond
sausage once!

Period Garnishing is a really neglected SCA art.

I like the idea of "Fine tuning a feast theme" .

How about "The differences in regional cuisines in the year _________."
Show regional foods, imported foods, and common diet staples in 4 or 5
different places such as Scotland, London, Paris, Rome, Norway. Actually, I
like that idea. I think we should ALL attend a class like that! Perhaps you
could pick an early date and a late date to illustrate the effect of
commerce on the cuisine of the areas.

Perhaps a good one would be "Common foods you have in your kitchen to
'medievalise' any meal". This would show quick tricks to make any meal in
to a "feast" with minimal menu rework. Why make hamburgers when you can
make hedgehogs, salad, and bread?  Why make oatmeal when you can have
Pottage? Why have cheese whiz when there's Savory Toasted Cheese?

How about "25 great recipes you can make at Pennsic"? Or, a week of Meal
Menus for  Pennsic with NO cooler! Sounds like the right class for your
target audience. If geared to minimal equipment and ingredient-sharing
(with spices, cheese, etc.), could be a winner!

How about "Emergency Solutions for the Panicking Cook"?

A Good One: "Starting a Cook's Guild".

Look me up at War Practice. We're merchanting (Aoife's Attic---Swords
etc.). Hope I can make it to your class! I promise not to heckle. I won't
be around for the afternoon, I have some  bureaucratic stuff to take care
of. Hope your class is early!
In 13 years of SCA in Penna,  I have never been to War Practice before.
Hope it's fun!

Toodles! HTH

Aoife