SC - rasher/game birds

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Apr 25 11:40:20 PDT 1998

At 11:14 AM +0100 4/21/98, Yeldham, Caroline S wrote:

>	BTW - if this recipe calls for the bacon to be wrapped around the
>breast of the game bird whiilst roasting, its the classic way in England to
>try to keep the breast moist, but I don't know of the same thing in period
>
>	Caroline

For a period example:

One shall cut a young chicken in two and wrap about it whole leaves of
salvia, and cut up in it bacon and add salt to suit the taste. Then cover
that with dough and bake like bread in the oven. (from the Icelandic
Medical Miscellany, which is one of the daughter manuscripts of the
probably 13th c. source discussed by Greve)

or

Chicks may be placed in pastry, back down and breast up, and broad slices
of bacon on the breast; and then cover. (from Le Menagier de Paris, late
14th c.)

Elizabeth/Betty Cook