SC - Sugar plate and moulds

Ceridwen ceridwen at commnections.com
Mon Apr 27 21:13:48 PDT 1998

:

> Ok, this is a question for everyone out there about sugar PLATE (not
> PASTE) and similar things
> My question is this -- does anyone have any idea what they would
> have used for moulds?  My husband's suggestion is to carve the item
> out of soapstone, then pour a metal mould, but this is a VERY
> non-trivial task.  If this is "THE way it was done" I am willing to
> go to the effort (the joy of marrying a carver!), but I'd rather have
> an intelligent clue first.  If anyone can even point me in the right
> direction I'd appreciate it.

Claricia,    Hope this helps, although it is later in period than  your
source. In Delights for Ladies, (1609) Sir Hugh Plat mentions molds of
carved wood, stone or plaster (molded from life) for "printing" of
various stuffs, marchpane paste, sugar paste (made with isinglass or gum
tragacanth. He instructs one to oil wooden molds with sweet almond oil,
and those of stone or plaster with barrows grease.
    I have, I believe the recipe you are working from..."to make sugar
plate" and "to make ymages in sugar" (curye V, 13 & 15 ). However, it is
a photocopy froma class handout, without dates for each source. What is
the date of these recipes, if you have it?

Ceridwen