SC - Winter Melon (was: Do you think it would be appropriate?)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Apr 28 11:14:59 PDT 1998

Murkial asks:
>>Also, does anyone know if Winter Melon is period?

and Cariadoc responds:
>According to the chapter on T'ang food in _Food in Chinese Culture_, edited
>by K.C. Chang, wintermelon was eaten in T'ang times, which is to say by the
>tenth century.
>
>>And if so, where can I
>>find one now?
>
>A good Chinese grocery store.

Actually, you may have to wait for late summer to find it.  Winter melon
has that name because it comes ripe late summer/fall and, since it keeps
fairly well, is then used as a vegetable over the winter.  I don't know if
it is still available now, and I doubt you can get it out of season.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook