SC - courts running long

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 1 00:14:41 PDT 1998

Balldrich said:

        Please, I'm not starting the horror stories again, but. . . I was Kitchen
Steward (note the good sence to use it already) for a coronation feast.
The plan was for the feast to stop for about 30-40 minutes in the middle
and the new king and queen would be crowned.  The problem was that the king
and the crown prince decided to go out for a little talk which turned into
a big flap and they ended screaming at each other.  My feast came to the
stopping point . . . and stopped for more than an hour and half.  ...
Autoicrats had no control.  Heralds and Seneschals had no control.

- -------------
Maybe. But I disagree with having no control. Start serving the feast. If the
king and king-to-be want to throw tantrums, let them. But don't hold up the
feast.

This may not go over well with some kings. So be it. One of things I admired
about Duke Hector and Duchess Rowen (yes, the only Queen to have won the
throne in the Known World by her own hand) was that when I was the autocrat,
we set a time for court. And they said, even if court was running late, start
serving. I didn't need to, they ended things when they said they would.

I've been at feasts where the feastocrat would not start serving feast until
the King and Queen had arrived. The feast was about 45 minutes late, rain was
threatening the outside feast and the queen was seen lazily making her way
to the showers and still we waited.

Respect needs to be a two-way street. In the case of a feast, I think the
crowd,
many of whom have small children who can't easily wait for the meal, should get
priority over the few Royalty.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net