SC - Pennsic bound

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Tue Aug 4 06:52:34 PDT 1998

Bonne wrote:

> On a totally unrelated list, this guy in the UK says he has a recipe for
> "Fowey Pie" (he was defending cooking in the British Isles, claiming it was
> very good at one point.)  He said he'd send me the recipe, but hasn't yet.
> Have any of you heard of this?  It's got apples in it, but also onions so it
> sounds more like a savory pie than a dessert pie.

I know I've seen this. I believe the sliced apples and onion are stacked up in
alternate layers with butters and things. I've just been tearing the place
apart looking for my West Country cookbook (Fowey is in Cornwall, IIRC), but so
far no luck. Will advise if I find it.

The cooking of the British Isles really _is_ a wonderful cuisine, though, but
the main problem is that the best practitioners of it aren't in Britain. This
is not to say that there is no good food in Britain, but it tends to be found
in either ethnic restaurants or people's private homes, and very rarely in
restaurants selling British food cooked in a British style. There's a whole
weird socio-economic-culinary history behind this; I suggest no one gets me
started.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com