SC - Celtic Food

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Tue Aug 4 16:19:17 PDT 1998

melc2newton at juno.com wrote:

> I am bidding to be Kitchen Steward, for my shires winter event, it will
> be a German dinner with Sauerbraten as the main course. My question ... is
> this, should there be a seperate childrens course and sitting area?

If
there is a convenient room, and your neighbors and guests are used to the idea
of the children eating seperately, then go for it.  Be aware thought that most
kids old enough to be seperated at meal time aren't going to be happy at being
fed baby foods, especially those who have grown up in the SCA and don't find
SCA food weird.

>If
> yes where should this be in the feast area. And should the kinder be
> given the last  course first or should they be given something special (
> not regular feast) such as hot dogs or Hamburgers?

My experience with a "children's feast" was this.  It had a seperate menu,
which cost less and seemed to leave out the really odd stuff and include some
standard kid fare that my daughter wasn't interested in.  So, we paid full
price for her to eat with her older sister and I.  At the event, they were
desperate to make room for more adults in the feast hall, and so just took all
the kids in the children's area over to the room set aside for children, and
fed them. They made a big deal over it being "special" for the kids, so she
thought she wanted to stay and I let her. But I was peeved because I'd paid
for a full feast price for her. She ended up peeved because she didn't get
venison, because the 9-10-11 year olds were treated as no different than 4-5-6
year olds.  Their meat came cut up for them, they had stuff like carrot sticks
and macaroni and cheese instead of the fancy stuff we were having.

I don't think it went well.  But, if this is something commonly done in your
area, then you should ask locally for opinion and organizing tips.  If
someone's children are too picky for feast, they can plan accordingly to skip
feast or bring something to feed the child.  If I were you, I'd concentrate on
making one feast.

> I also would like to have the feast seated as to precedence ( Highest
> ranking member of family) i.e. If Duke Joe and Countess Jo Anne come to
> the event together then they would sit with the other Dukes and Duchess'.

Everyone seats themselves around here, without the heralds assistance.
(Sometimes there's a table sign up sheet, sometimes it's just a polite free
for all when the feast hall opens, sometimes it's been open all day and people
have been clandestinely arranging their feast gear. Might be interesting ot
have planned seating.

Bonne