SC - Kids and feasts

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Wed Aug 5 06:41:12 PDT 1998

A while back Ann-Marie mentioned:
 the "fritter carry" we do at Peasants revel every year. A "fritter" (pancake
like unit) is on a spatula and you have to run an obstacle course. If you drop
it, you have to spin around three times before you can pick it up and go on.
Stepping over the large stuffed sheep gits 'em every time! :)

What about Hunkerhausen?  (bad attempt at spelling German word mine)

split a 8-10 diameter fireplace log, balance each piece on the round side,
about 8 ft apart.  a player stands on each log, each holding the end of a rope
about 16 ft long.  At the signal, they each haul in as much rope as they can,
until it is taught.  Then, they each try to NOT be the one to fall off while
attempting to get their enemies portion of the rope into their own hands.

Its's addictive, with losers begging for best 2 outta 3, ok best 3 outta 5
etc.

(mundane warning: players should weare shoes please so as to avoid big
gigantic splinters.  Or, the hausen maker should smoothe the split side)
{snip}
Silly Peasant games are played (many of which we have documentation of sorts
for, even, and some we just looked at Brugel paintings and made up games that
suited what the peasants were doing ).

Other games include wet rag on a stick, gurning, melon eating, turnip carving,
Izzy Dizzy, Spin in the Bucket, and other assorted goofiness.