SC - Kids and feasts

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Aug 5 09:39:38 PDT 1998

Linda Peterson wrote:

> Ah, SCA cultural anthropology-my favorite! The above list is the standard
> diet of the vast majority of US children today.

I would agree with that statement, but not for my nephews and nieces!  I have no
children of my own, but I have a younger sister who learned to appreciate feasts
(she's now 15 and we started bringing her when she was 10) and my nephews are 5
and 7.  Their mom is one of the other cooks in this area, and would never feed
her kids processed food!  It's a pretty special occasion when they get
McDonalds-(and not with me-Aunty Shari -cause I'm a vegetarian.)

> I don't believe that children should be fed separately, myself. The SCA is
> a learning experience for everyone. Newcomers should be aquainted with the
> realities of life in their local area. In our area (the Outlands), a
> typical feast usually has at least a few things kids will eat. It is also
> usually late. I can't understand parents who leave the care of their
> children to chance. My household never went to a feast without snacks even
> before the kids came, and I now always make sure that the kids can eat
> when they need to, without relying on historically uncertain feast times.
> We have also had bad luck with children's areas in general, any
> relinquishing of parental responsibility seems to make people around here
> assume that the rest of the world will babysit their kids for them.

I  have to agree with this as well. I think it's sad when parents go beyond the
"good parenting laws".  You know your kids burn off food quicker, why make them
wait? as for the babysitting, I have a story about that: we have a lady in our
Barony who has a tendancy when bringing her child, to just grab one of the older
kids and hand her child over and say "watch him".  Her child is probably the
most spoiled, rude child I have ever met (reflection of the parents?).  On the
feast note, When I was kitchen steward for our Christmas feast in 1996, her
comment about feast was "there is nothing on the menu my son will eat, what is
your kitchen planning for kids that won't eat these foods?"  My comment was "I
believe that if a child doesn't eat what the parent puts in front of them, they
will go hungry."  Surprise surprise that all the other kids liked the feast, and
my nephews came into the kitchen asking for more. (Dad was sitting feast, mom
and aunty shari were in kitchen) two other boys found out where they got extra
roast meat and came and got some from us too!