SC - Kids and feasts

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 5 09:57:23 PDT 1998

> this, should there be a seperate childrens course and sitting area? If
> yes where should this be in the feast area. And should the kinder be
> given the last  course first or should they be given something special (
> not regular feast) such as hot dogs or Hamburgers?

I like keeping the kids involved, let's raise up the next generation of the
SCA!Realistically, if you dump the kids in a saparate area, and feed them
kiddy-pap, they will not grow into enjoying the events. Most kids can enjoy the
pagentry and food of a well done feast.

> I also would like to have the feast seated as to precedence ( Highest
> ranking member of family) i.e. If Duke Joe and Countess Jo Anne come to
> the event together then they would sit with the other Dukes and Duchess'.
>  Is this asking to much of the heralds and has this been done in any
> feast you all have attended.  The event is in January but preparation
> begins now.
>
> Thanks for any help and advice in advance,
>
> Thorbjorn Bjornson  AoA  Shire of Oakheart,  Calontir

Weel, now you are talking about a serious behavior modification prohject!
What happens if Duke Joe and his lady want their common scum buddies to sit with
them? The household structure of the SCA is such that they tend to want to sit
together. If you separate to OoP, then you break up their seating and decorating
arrangements. I have sat my whole household at an event in OoP[35 members and a
few guests, we took up a serious block of the feasthall for Marinus/Ty-re-don
Interbaronial 12th Night and won the table setup contrest as we had identical
feastgear and long runners of holly and ivy down the centers of the tables with
serving pieces and candles. Spiffy. I don't ever believe that you could separate
out thehats from their households.
margali