SC - Kids and feasts

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 13:00:37 PDT 1998

Could you please tell me were you found the crocks so that i can go
look, please?

- ---Alma Johnson <chickengoddess at mindspring.com> wrote:

> >dear lady can you describe these crocks, please...shape, etc
> >
> >my thanks
> >
> >Dragonfyr
>

> Ooh, description.  Depends on the capaciity, to some degree.  I will
> describe a large one, and make it more squat looking for the churns of
> smaller capacity. Tall pottery jar with two handles, smaller at base,
> flaring wider toward the top, and then back smaller at the top, with
an
> internal lip to hold a lid.  The lid (Some come with a ceramic lid)
has a
> hole in it for the dasher handle.  If you have the first foxfire
book, mine
> looks just like the one in the photo of the old lady churning in her
> kitchen.  That's probably a 5 gallon one like mine in the picture,
and mine
> is the only one I saw today made of the local red clay with a brown
glaze.
> Mine stands about 17" high and has a circumference about the widest
part of
> 36".  Churns, as you can imagine, don't move off the shelves like
they used
> to, but the gentleman at the pottery assured me that they carry a
few at all
> times.  I'm not certain how long it will take for them to get in
another 5
> gal, but they are all nice.  Some don't come with a lid, which is
only there
> to protect you from splashing the clabbered milk all over, but a
round of
> wood with a hole in the middle will work, and dashers are just a dowel
> handle with 2 crossed pieces of wood on the end for agitation.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor
> Who wil probably sit her churn next to the computer - type with the
right
> hand, churn with the left!

SCA-Cooks".

==
I play in the shaddows.I hide in the light.
Mine is the world that shuns the light.
For all the evil that ever has been or ever will be;
i am it and it is me.

Morgan Parris
http://members.xoom.com/aelfie