SC - Kids and feasts

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Aug 5 17:13:49 PDT 1998

Noemi says...
>I still believe what my mother and grandmother always said, that a child is a
>fussy eater only if you let them get away with it.  This goes for cats too,
>but that's another story. . .
>
>I've always wondered why it is an automatic reaction here in the US to give a
>child that is a fussy eater "familiar" food, where an adult is supposed to be
>able to adapt or change their tastes.  Wouldn't it be easier to have children
>eat the same things adults do to make them more accepting of new tastes?

I believe in teaching children early that being "adventerous" can be fun. I
can't remember how many times I have said to my 3 nieces that it doesn't
hurt to try it once. If you don't like it, fine, but don't make that
decision before you try it. After banging this into their heads for several
years I am proud to say that they actually look forward to feast and trying
new things edible. I also like to take them shopping and then they can
really pick and choose from all the "weird" stuff out there. Let them be the
master of their collective culinary destiny. I think, and I agree with
Noemi's grandmother, that if a kid is fussy, they must of learned it somewhere.

Micaylah
- -whos nieces don't eat K.D., Big Macs nor Hamburger Helper (shudder)-