SC - Lamingtons

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Aug 6 06:36:37 PDT 1998

Phil & Susan Troy wrote:

> Bonne wrote:
>  It's got apples in it, but also onions so it
> > sounds more like a savory pie than a dessert pie.
>
> I know I've seen this. I believe the sliced apples and onion are stacked up in
> alternate layers with butters and things. I've just been tearing the place
> apart looking for my West Country cookbook (Fowey is in Cornwall, IIRC), but so
> far no luck. Will advise if I find it.

That may be it, with a local name as opposed to the one we know in the
manuscripts.

> is not to say that there is no good food in Britain, but it tends to be found
> in either ethnic restaurants or people's private homes, and very rarely in
> restaurants selling British food cooked in a British style. There's a whole
> weird socio-economic-culinary history behind this; I suggest no one gets me
> started.

My husband, after some years in America and able to at least get bad versions
of regional specialties way outside of the proper season and place, was quite
frustrated with British local food.  We were going to Edinburgh, and he
remarked to his mother that he hoped he could get some "buttries".  She looked
appalled and told him that he couldn't get them there, he'd have to go at
least to Aberdeen, and maybe much closer to Brae Mar (her hometown). She was
right of course.

I found them in the Elizabeth David book, referred to as Aberdeen Rowies.

A recipe of yeast dough, rolled thin, dotted with butter, folded, chilled.
Repeat two or three times.  end with many layered rectangular packet perhaps
an inch thick.  Chop into rough triangles and allow to rise very slowly in a
cool place, so the butter doesn't melt.  Bake quickly in a hot oven so the
melting butter doesn't escape completely. Eat very hot with jam or honey, but
surely NOT with more butter! Kinda like very rugged croissant. At least that's
what I thought before the children described them as"homemade hungry jack
bisuits" as they are all layered and greasy and flaky.