SC - Pennsic

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Aug 5 22:03:59 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie!
I'm asked for the "rules" for our peasnat games...please recal that many of
these are reconstructed from paintings, etc, so we kinda had to make the
rules bits up to match what we thought we were seeing...:)

- --spit in the bucket. A relay, where members of a team attempt to run and
fill up a small bucket usuing only thier mouths to carry water (or this
year purple koolaid. ugh). First team to fill the bucket wins.

- --catch the goat. One of our guild memebers whos especially nimble ties a
couple flags on and runs about while kids (and grownups) attempt to catch
him.

- --wet rag on a stick. My fave! a person in the middle is blindfolded, and
given a short stick with a beer soaked rag on the end. Everyone else links
arms in a tight circle and goes around, taunting them. The blindfolded
person then flings the rag off the stick. Whoever it hits (SPLAT!) goes in
the middle.

- --bang the kettle. a person is blindfolded and seated, with a metal kettle
at their knees. They are given a boffer (not the real medieval stick,
sorry). folks attempt to get up to the kettle and whack it with a wooden
spoon without getting swatted with the boffer. If you get hit, you go in
the middle.

- --turnip harvest. a large circle on the ground is made with rope. turnips
are scattered in the circle. individuals are blindfolded and put on their
hands and knees in the circle. Team leaders are on the outside, with a pot
and spoon. Harvesters attempt to gather tunrips and get them to the
leaders, based solely on the sounds of the voice and the banging of the
pot.

- --Edward the Stuffy's Butt Kicking Game. Like soccer, but with a cabbage.
Makes rather spectaular cole slaw explosions.

- --hopping tag. Everyone is inside a circle made of rope. "It" is hopping on
one foot. If "It" tags you, then you must hop on one foot too, and can tag
others. A fine demonstration of logrithmic growth!

- --barnyard animals. three groups of "animals" close their eyes and attempt
to find their buddies by making appropriate noises. Most amusing!

- --turnip tossing. Folks have to toss said turnips into a sack...about 10-15
yards away, and over their shoulders.

- --izzy dizzy. Stick your head on a waist high stick and spin around a bunch
of times. Now, try and run back to your friends...NOT to be combined with
spit in the bucket.

- --gurning. a contest for making ugly faces

- --Hunkerhausen. tug of war on platforms.

- --Twilsey Wop. Pillow fighting on platforms

we also did turnip carving contests, hide and seek, a game where we made a
big knot of ourselves and attempted to untangle without breaking hands, egg
toss, etc.

it was fun!
- --AM, who was in charge of the peasant stew this year :)