SC - Butter churns

Morgan Parris shaddow_witch at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 07:47:07 PDT 1998

> I also recall hearing someplace, probably in one of Jan What'sizzname's
> books
> on modern / urban folklore, that Twinkies are manufactured in some manner
> that
> involves no baking, but that this is not actually the case. My guess is
> that
> the filling is either frozen or otherwise chemically prevented from
> demulsifying and running, so it doesn't matter how hot it gets, and then
> either
> suspended, in the case of a frozen blob of filling, or simply injected, if
> not
> frozen, into the batter, which I would guess is cooked in some kind of
> mold.

The cream filling is injected in AFTER "Baking" through three holes in the
base.
The cakes are sponge cakes made with (I believe) freeze dried eggs, and
extruded into trough shaped cups. When done (I believe that they are run
through a "strip oven", the cups are on a continuous belt, and the belt
mechanically goes through a washer, then the batter is pushed into the cup,
goes into one end, and comes out cooked out the other end),  the cream
nozzles drop down, and force cream in through the "top".  The cups are then
turned out onto a strip of waxed cardboard, and the cardboard cut into two
Twinkie units, and sent to the wrapper, still warm. I believe that the hot
cake melts some of the grease in the filling, which diffuses throughout the
cake, resulting in the odd, oily "richness" of the cake.
The cream also has vanilla flavoring.
The "Nerd's Cookbook" (I think that is what it is called, it went around the
software dept., in my last job) has a recipe for "Programmer's casserole"
which is made with twinkies and expresso.  It is not that bad, but, man!
what a headache, if you eat too much!  M&M's are an "optional garnish". It
is supposed to be eaten with Jolt cola to wash it down...

I will try to find the recipe, if you want it, but I would rather not think
too much about it ;-)

Brandu