SC - Finger Food without pastry ???

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Mon Aug 10 19:52:41 PDT 1998

Alma Johnson wrote:

> Since it seems we can't kill this one, what the hell.

Oh, you've noticed, have you???

> Back in New Orleans about 10 years ago Hostess test marketed Choc-O-Diles.
> These were twinkies with the rich chocolate King Don (or Ding Dong,
> depending on where you're from) coating.  They were very heaven.

I recall the various ad campaigns, but from longer than 10 years ago. More like
25-30. "It takes a while to eat a Choc-O-Dile...", sung by a silly animated
crocodile.

As I recall they were slices from a chocolate sponge jelly-roll, filled with
sweet white goo vaguely pretending to be either buttercream or whipped cream,
covered with a fairly thick coat of glazing chocolate. Similar to Ring-Dings,
which are in turn the same as Ding-Dongs, which I never saw or heard of except
in Zippy the Pinhead comics in the late '70's, so I assumed they were
fictional. (Or was there a peanut-butter phase involved?)

BTW, one of the greater bits of totally off-topic trivia, but too good to pass
up, is that Bill Griffith's Zippy stories are the original source of the
question, "Are we having fun yet?"

> I guess the chocolate sealed in all the chemicals, making them extra special
> good.

The cocoa butter in the chocolate provided a protective sheath for the stomach
against stomach cancer, I suppose. At least so far, anyway.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com