SC - Re: Only place to suffer foreign invasion??

Tue Aug 11 10:44:11 PDT 1998

Jeanne Stapleton wrote:

> Unusual cooking methods:  a famed one in Alaska, one that I've
> even seen in a couple of the touristy cookbooks, is the "salmon
> cooked in foil during the dishwasher cycle".  The principle is
> simple: whole salmon, dressed/stuffed according to the way you
> want it, tight foil wrapper (those new hot bags would work really
> well), one normal dishwasher cycle including heat dry,  Voila,
> dinner is served.

Yes, I've seen that one, even from dubious sources like Jeff Smith.

> Variation is to put the foil wrapped salmon on your car engine
> and drive somewhere, but I don't remember for how long.  I never
> tried that one.

Well, I just _happen_ to have my copy of Maynard and Scheller's "Manifold
Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine" handy, and it
sez 140 miles.

Lessee now. Eight minutes to the inch of thickness for a fish (according to the
revised Spenser or Candian Fish Cooking Method), would mean, ummm, roughly 40
minutes for a decent-sized salmon, so at 65 miles per hour, this doesn't quite
make sense. Unless, perhaps, heat transfer speeds up after you've travelled a
ways, and this would be akin to baking in an oven that hasn't been preheated.
Maybe the 140 miles is accurate after all.

See what too much science does to a brain?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com