SC - Did they really eat that?

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 13 10:02:34 PDT 1998

Adamantius writes:

>>You can get decent bagels in Israel, some parts of
eastern Europe, Rome, oddly enough, and New York. Probably Miami and environs,
but I'm guessing at that. The best bagels on earth, bar none, are found in
Williamsburg, Brooklyn<<

Ever been to Los Angeles, Master A? It has the largest Jewish population in
the world -- I think we surpassed New York a few years ago. The bagels here
are, IMHO, superb! Chewy on the inside, crunchy on the outside.

The only problem with them, again IMHO, is the "trendy" flavors: jalapeno,
cinnamon raisin, blueberry (shudder!), etc. But that's just me, a bagel
purist.

The bagels in NYC are, as you mention, excellent. I'll have to try to get to
Williamsburg, Brooklyn some day. The absolute *best* bagel I ever had was in,
of all places, Santa Barbara (that's the Caidan Shire of Isles, BTW) but it
must have been a fluke. The outfit was called The New York Bagel Factory and
they are now long gone. i guess the Santa Barbarians just couldn't appreciate
a good bagel.

Renata