SC - Did they really eat that?

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 13 12:43:22 PDT 1998

> I bet they would, if they were ever exposed to them. The New York Bagel
> Factory
> is a chain of franchises, none of whom exist in New York, so far as I
> know, and
> what they sell bears about as much resemblance to a bagel as, well, Pizza
> Hut's
> stuff does to pizza.

I wonder if this is the New York Bagel that is catching on in Oklahoma.  I
tried them once.  I decided that what they serve is multi-colored glops,
whose only resemblence to food are the names.  Pizza Hut is preferable.

> There's no reason why decent bagels couldn't be available anywhere in the
> world
> where bread can be made, and the demand is increasing as New Yorkers
> conquer and
> colonize our subject lands. So, eventually decent bagels should be easier
> to get.
> Pizza, too. You can get good pizza in several towns in New Jersey, for
> instance.

Conquer?  Colonize?  Nah.  The New Yorkers we see around here are
expatriates headed for California.  They don't like it out here on the
plains.  Must be agoraphobic or something.  Of course, if these poor
refugees stayed, Oklahoma might be blessed with good ethnic New York
cuisine, just as we have had an influx of Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai over
the past 30 years.

> But, I respectfully point out that no one seems to be naming their bagel
> franchises after Santa Barbara or any cities in Canada. At least not yet ;
> ) .
> If advertising could be allowed to return to its simple roots, they could
> call
> these places "Really Good Bagels" or some such. Then there would be a
> chance of
> truth to it.
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________
> Phil & Susan Troy
> troy at asan.com

Einstein Bagel, Noah Bagel, Bagel Sphere, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, Brueggers
Bagel Bakery don't sound like New York to me.  Of course we have Manhattan
Bagel Co. (of Eatonville, NJ) and Big Apple Bagels (Chicago) to prove your
point.

Personally, were I starting such an establishment, I might try the Grand
Vienna Bagel Bakery producing bagels to "the true bagel recipes of the
master European bakers."  That ought to appeal to the snobs.  It would even
be halfway honest, since the bagel recipes I use are French.

All joking aside, what do you consider the chief attributes of a good bagel.
Most of what is locally available isn't good baking, much less a good bagel,
so it will be interesting to see how they stack up to your standards.

Bear