SC - Self Rising Flour - OOP - URGENT

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 13 14:48:33 PDT 1998

> I don't believe I've ever seen a
> French bagel recipe. Italian, yes.
>
> They should be formed by hand, and never, ever
> cut out. Ideal method is to form a ball and punch your finger through it,
> then
> stretch it a bit to open up a ring. (Italian bagels, which are a slightly
> different animal, are made more like pretzels, with an overlap).
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________
> Phil & Susan Troy
> troy at asan.com

After reading my post, my wife complained that I never made her any bagels,
so I'll probably need to make up for this oversight this weekend.

Bread recipes tend to travel.  While the bagel recipes I have are from
French bakers, I suspect one originates in Germany and from your description
of the Italian bagel, the other probably comes from there.

>From your description, the baking temperature needs to be between 450 and
500 degrees F.  My previous bagels have been good, but the crust isn't
crunchy (probably due to a faulty thermostat in the oven).  Since I have a
new oven, some strong bread flour, and a batch of mild sourdough, I'll run
your advice against the recipes I have and see what happens.  Steaming also
sounds interesting.

Bear