SC - Did they really eat that?

Thu Aug 13 16:51:54 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:

> Greetings the List,
>
> I need help. I used to have the correct equivalents to make self rising
> flour. Of course now that I need it, I can't find it. I refuse to pay the
> ridiculous prices of it already made. Anybody?
>
> Micaylah

1 lb flour is roughly 3 1/2 cups. Add 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder (or 1 tsp per
cup) plus a half tsp fine salt to a lb. of flour, sift several times, and you
have something pretty close to a lb of self-rising flour. Self-rising flour is
a bit softer than "all-purpose" or "plain" flour, since it is generally used
for cakes, biscuits (American type) and quickbreads. You might include some
percentage of cake or pastry flour.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com