SC - I need some info...

Mon Aug 17 07:11:45 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/5/98 10:41:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au writes:

<< In the case of adults, I have found that it is stupid to serve a group of
 people nothing but offal, pork and shellfish, since a lot of people
 really do not like it. >>

And I must disagree with you vehemently on this observation. I regularly serve
all of the above. It gets eaten AND most importantly feasts are sold out in
advance.

Throughout this thread I have noticed that a lot of the opinions about what
should or should not be served at feasts are apparently based on 'what  is
thought would be popular' at a feast as opposed to what tastes good. My feasts
are always based on the second precept. If it tastes good then it will be
eaten. Period.

Fish, pork (I am unsure why you listed this because pork is one of the most
popular feast dishes here), and offal are all period, period. To exclude these
dishes, which were regularly served in period at a feast, is unneccessary.
Oftentimes, kitchen stewards base their menu choices on their own personal
likes and dislikes. This is unavoidable. But to assume a widespread dislike of
any given food based on regional or even localized preferences is not the way
that one should go about preparing a menu.

The appropriate base for a period feast menu should be based exclusively on
whether a particular dish is tasty. The type of ingredients are . IMO,
irrelevant. The bottom line is whether the goal of the SCA cook is produce
consistantly period menus which are tasty or whether they decide not to use
onions because their friend "Bob" or Baron "Grump" doesn't like them. SFAIC,
the folks that fit in the latter category would be better off off-board so
their spaces can be occupied by people who truly appreciate period food.

Ras (I'm baaaccckkkk! :-))