SC - Food Handlers Licence (was: HELP!!!!!!)

Wolfger von Sibenburgen wolfgervon at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 10:54:00 PDT 1998

After all the butter discussions that went on during our
stay at War, I was dying to try this butter making thing.
I read through all the posts and figured it couldn't be
that complicated. It wasn't. I hope more people try this
because I got at least two good nights of footrubs out
of this (yeah, footrubs, that's it, yeah) from my husband
who was so impressed that it could be done.

I tried it two ways and in both cases used a standard
local heavy cream that was ultra pasteurized and sold
in the dairy section of our mid-sized grocery store.

Version #1: Into a full quart narrow-mouthed mason jar I
placed 2 pints of ultra-pasteurized heavy cream. I set
this on the countertop uncovered.

Version #2: Into the bowl of my Kitchen Aid mixer with
the paddle (not the whisk) installed, I placed the same
amount and let it sit uncovered.

Then I went about my morning business and washed dishes
and generally cleaned the house. An hour or two later I
remember both of the cream concoctions and started the
mixer up on the lowest speed. I covered the mason jar
with a standard lid and ring. I promptly ignored the
mixer and went into the living room and started reading
a magazine. During my reading I gently rocked the jar
back and forth from hand to hand without shaking it.

Company arrived and I forgot about the mixer again.
About 30-45 minutes after that, one of my guests noticed
a "lapping water" sound much like you would here at
the seashore. Wahlah! Butter happened when I wasn't
looking! Lovely stuff. Pale, pale yellow and tasty.

As for the jar, well, after another 45 minutes of gentle
rocking, I determined it needed something more vigorous
and ended up rolling it with my feet on the floor
because my arms got tired. The foot method worked, but
to be honest, it took a hell of a long time. I lost
track after 3 hours of non-consistent rolling. Again,
it was tasty stuff, though it seemed a bit more
watery than the butter from the mixing bowl.

Either way, it was very nice. I might just volunteer
this stuff for a small feast (like the test feast for
an upcoming event or something). Thanks for all
the talk. It was a lovely little experiment!

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
- -- Hroswith of Gandersheim