SC - A question of concern...

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Aug 25 14:12:10 PDT 1998

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:04:55 -0400 dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca (Micaylah)
writes:
>Greetings the List,

>The first thing I would like to know is whether or not this is a
>common
>practise in other groups. We have in this Canton a box of spices and
>herbs,
>flours, other dried goods and various snippets and hoeys kept in a
>rough
>tote for kitchen stewards to use at their disposal for events and
>other
>requirements. It gets brought to light, oh probably, three times a
>year max.
>It lives in an old basement for the remainder of the time. I have a
>real,
>real problem with this. Am I the only one who does?

We keep leftovers, too, but we keep them in air-tight containers and we
use them within a reasonable amount of time. If they look or smell the
least bit off, out they go.
Of course, we use fresh herbs most of the time. I won't keep the flour
because I'm afraid of weevils. So the only thing we have left usually is
sometimes some cinnamon, some salt, pepper. Stuff like that. Kept in air
tight containers in a dark, dry place they keep for a while anyway.
Anyone who values their reputations as cooks would be very leary about
using old stuff, I would think. Our group has spent a long time building
up a reputation that you can happily and safely eat any feast we serve.
None of our cooks would chance messing that up! If we're not doing
another feast soon enough to use up leftovers, we make something to serve
at our next business meeting.

Julleran