SC - HELP!!!!!

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Aug 26 20:30:21 PDT 1998

In reference to Ras' posting I have a similar question on his opinion and
thoughts about The Medieval Kitchen by Redon, Sabban and Serventi. As this
book was recommended a short while ago, I picked it up and in my quick
browsings have noticed that they also give substitutions quite frequently.

Since I'm not even remotely as well versed in judging a book in the
redaction sense, would it be fair to say the same about this one?

Micaylah

*******************************

Ras said....

>Although the information in this book is fascinating he and his wife take
>great liberties in redacting the recipes so that the majority of them are not
>exactly authentic. The Scully's tend to substitute items because they think
>their substitution makes a better dish and they also leave ingredients out
>that the original called for.
>
>The background information is generally quite sound, however. They also
>present a good case for the 'Humor' theory of medicine as it pertains to
>cookery although they fall far short of convincing me that the majority of
>medieval cooks really cared about such things.
>
>Allin all it was an interesting read but their recipes although VERY tasty
>fall short of being seriuosly authentic.

"It has to be a linguistics professor who said that it's mans ability to use
language that makes us the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But
I think there's one other thing that separates us from other animals. We
aren't afraid of the vacuum cleaner!"  :)