SC - Food Handlers License

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Aug 28 05:46:09 PDT 1998

We have a similar box in our Barony too.  I seldom use its contents as I
usually use my own spices, herbs etc.

I think that is both sensible and fine to have dry goods in the box, as
long as they are in a good quality airtight container and have the date
of purchase written on the top.  As has been pointed out previously,
many spices keep for a good two years with ease, and it seems a shame to
just throw things out willy nilly at the end of every event.

Mistress Christianna seemed to have the best suggestions as to how to
deal with your specific issue.

Me, when it comes to leftovers for a feast I have cooked. If it is an
open packet of ingredients I might keep it; unless the feast looks like
it might make a loss in which case I buy it back from the group.  If it
is a whole packet or bottle of X I will pay the group back for it.

With finished food:

Left over cooked food is either served at the next days event  for lunch
if it has been refrigerated overnight, or is deep frozen so I can take
it to the next potluck or other event.

I loathe buffets for many reasons including the fact that they make for
vast amounts of dishes, and they waste so much food as I will NOT
re-serve or give away food which has been on a buffet.  That food has
been sitting out there at room temperature for a while and has had
alsorts of implements used to mix the germs around from platter to
platter.  No way would I serve anything from a buffet (with biscuits -
ie. cookies being the only possible exception) ever again.

Served food can have the leftovers cooled immediately in an airtight
container in the the fridge and would be safe to serve again. Dependant
upon the food - some meat or dairy dishes for example would not be
appropriate to re-serve.

Kiriel