SC - Scully

Jane Waks waks at world.std.com
Fri Aug 28 07:08:20 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/28/98 2:31:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, aldyth at juno.com
writes:

<<  It seems that Wyoming licenses
 the entity, not the person.  Each kitchen should have one of the health
 department certificates on the wall, and as long as the kitchen area is
 papered, so to speak, so are all the cooks. >>

It is the same here in PA. So long as the refrigeration facilities maintain
correct temperature. There is no obvious signs of contamination from rodents
and other creatures in food storage areas and the rest of the equipment is
maintained. A certificate is issued. It coversANYONE using the facilities.

 <>

Actually, I percieved the exact opposite. The place where feasts are cooked is
'certified' giving the doomsayers nothing to complain about or fear; and, the
people using the facility are not bombarded with ridiculous rules from an
oppressive state. What more can one ask for?

Come on, folks. I think this whole kitchen/person certification thing is
rapidly deteriorating. States that require such  papers to prove one has
common sense can continue to do so but if such a movement starts in PA, I will
be one of the people in the front lines who will do everything possible to
make sure such a program is NOT instituted here.

SFAIK, there has never been any official cases of food poisoning traced to an
SCA feast so all this talk of certification and formal tis a moot point. Given
the vast amount of knowledge most folks in the SCA have with many of us
refusing to play the "pay someone money for a piece of paper proving you know
something game', I would suspect that little support for legislated
'cleanliness'  outside  the minority on this list. Certainly a majority
consensus could not be achieved. Furthermore, given the vast differences in
interpretation of 'safe' cooking practices between urban and rural population
bases such an exercise wold, IMO, be futile.

Wash your hands. Wash your equipment. Thaw and store meat at the correct
temperatures. Keep beasties out of your food stuffs. Cook foods to the proper
temperature. Be aware of your product sources. And store food items correctly.
This is all that is essential. It is 'common' sense. Even cooks in the MA knew
this.

Now I think I'll have my morning cup of coffee. :-)

Ras (who would rather be free than have safety legislated)