SC - Cooking a dog-sized hare

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Aug 28 11:06:01 PDT 1998

I have a couple of strong thoughts that I feel need to be expressed here.

As a student of a licensable field (Psych), I know well the necessity of ethics and standards of practice to protect the patrons of our events.  I also know from that experience that if we do not take internal responsibility for  maintaining high quality and performance standards ourselves, then no certifications/regulation by an already overworked gov't system will keep food handling related illnesses out of our feast halls.

The thread on food handling certifications has been enlightening and motivating.  It also concerns me that the direction has seemed largely outward focused.  I have read some diversions into the area of how we can make things different ourselves, but there seems to be a resounding undertone that we these certifications and gevernment sanctions will privide safety, ethics, and standards in our hobby.

I contend that we need to create this standard within our membership.  Taking personal responsibility to evangelize for safe food in our kitchens.  Maybe even taking the time to generate leaflets/handouts/pamphlets for new cooks to use.  That is a new goal for myself in our area.  There is some rumbling of desire to start a local food guild....we may enjoy developing some guidleine package for people to use as reference.  I know some groups already have such things, so I would appreciate any input, electronic files or hard copies (I'll gladly pay postage) of extant food safety booklets or handouts.

If I offend, I oppologize humbly.  I appreciate all the inputs and research of the people involved.  I fear waking the bureaucratic beast that can make our state park benefactors disappear in a cloud of regulation and paperwork.....much less bequesting any of our Societal autonomy to agencies that are not working in any form as our corporate  advocate.

pace e bene (even in the face of passion),  :o)

niccolo difrancesco