SC - PPC - Petits Propos Culinaires

Acanthusbk@aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Sun Aug 30 13:54:53 PDT 1998

Hi Folks -

I was wandering around a used book store today and found 13 issues of
the journal from the above group.  The journal focuses on "food, food
history, cookery and cookery books."

These little ~60 page books are fascinating!  The one's I have date from
1987-1992 (the journal was issued 3 times per year) and each one has at
least one good article/paper on historical cooking!  (for example, #27,
the first one, has an article on the history of "les galettes des rois",
the cakes served at epiphany with the bean in where the person who finds
it is the king for the day, citing sources back to the 13th century, a
short discussion and photocopies of a couple of pages from a book in
french that the author suspects was written in 1562 by Mary Queen of
Scots or member of her household, the refutation of a scholarly work
that was trying to prove baklava documentabl to a 3rd century byzantine
book and a bunch of book reviews (including Scully's Chiquart on
Cookery) and some letters from readers on all sorts of topics!  And
That's just the first of 13!

Anyway, does anyone know if this organization still exists?  I'm going
to send a letter to the US address in the back of the last book (the
organization is based in the UK), but if anyone knows anything else
about this organization, I'd love to hear it!

Caitlen Ruadh